International Driving Permit

I got my International Driving Permit today. Woo hoo!

What's an International Driving Permit, you ask?

Basically, an International Driver's Permit allows you to drive a vehicle in another country, as long as you also have a valid driver's license issued by your state.

You'll only need it in a few countries. I drove all over Iceland, and I wasn't required to have one. It is also recognized as a valid form of identification in over 175 countries as well as by many major car rental companies internationally.

Acquiring one is as simple as going to your local AAA office, filling out a form, and forking over $32 ($20 for the permit and $12 for the passport photos). You could also do it online, but you'll have to send it in by mail and wait for it to be mailed back to you. You can learn more about it by visiting AAA's website.

The permit is valid for one year from date of issue, which you can specify - like you can see on my permit with an October 12, 2019 date.

So why did I get one? Well... it's because of this:

The Studio Ghibli Museum is sold out for October! 

Apparently, you have to book your tickets way in advance as they are not sold on the day you plan to go. Booking your ticket is a whole clusterfuck too - which has a limited sale period.

If I wanted tickets for October, I should have booked it in September - on the very first day the sale period, as they sell out fast. And you can't buy it from the museum's website.

You either have to:

a.) buy it from a kiosk at  Lawson's (if you're in Japan),

b.) from their website, or

c.) get it from JTB USA (the company where you buy your JR Pass), but only if you book a tour.

Whats does that have to do with getting an International Driving Permit? 

It's because I've decided to do something potentially dangerous: driving a go-kart in the middle of Tokyo while in cosplay!

Yes, folks, I am going to do the Street Kart aka "Mario Street Kart IRL".